Why the red Converse ALL STAR ™ shoes? Well….
RI president Germ has said that we are “ROTARY’S ALL STAR TEAM” this year.
The word “team” can mean a whole lot of things – but in this case it means:
Together Everyone Achieves More!
My first challenge to you is this:
- Buy a pair of ALL STARS. There are lots of options and prices online or in strores Buy them in whatever style or color you prefer.
- Wear them in places where they look a little out of place. I am not encouraging anyone to violate workplace dress codes. However, wearing them to events and in places where they’re not normally expected is part of the challenge.
- When someone asks you, “Hey, what’s up with the shoes?”, tell them you’re wearing them because you’re a Rotarian, and then say to them, sincerely, “Let me tell you about MY Rotary Club.”
- See what happens next. I guarantee you that one (hopefully more) of the people you tell about your rotary Club will want to know more, so invite them to join you for breakfast, lunch, cocktails – in whatever locale and format your club meets.
Together, we can – in fact – achieve more! Our first step (shoe pun obviously intended) is to do something that makes us noticed and causes people to ask us about this wonderful movement called Rotary.
My second challenge to you is this:
- I’ll get it posted to the district Facebook page, website, and newsletter. We may also use it for some fun at District Conference and RI Convention next June!
Until next Monday, keep “Doing Good, Having Fun!”
Your Friend in Rotary Service,
District 6950 Governor 2016-17
Thanks to all who attended our District Awards Banquet this last week! It was a time of reflection over the accomplishments of the year and appreciation of those who served in our District, both through administration and through Club service. Here is a full list of recognition awarded:
Rotary club of the Year:
Small Club of the Year: Rotary e-club of SE USA & Caribbean
Medium Club of the Year: Gulf Beaches
Large Club of the Year: Tarpon Springs
Rotary Club President of the Year:
Small Club President of the Year: Jeanie Germain – Dade City
Medium Club President of the Year: Claire English – Indian Rocks Beach
Large Club President of the Year: Jean Coleman, Tarpon Springs
The Keith Kurber Area and Club Excellence Award: "Excellence is doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Presented to Allen Collins, Assistant Governor with Special Recognition to the Rotary Clubs of St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg West, St. Petersburg Sunrise, St. Petersburg Sunset, St. peterburg Mid-town, Gulf Beaches
Dr. Milton O. and Alice Jones Exemplary Service Award: Sandra Lilo, For Exemplary “Service Above Self”
The Woodrow V. Register Distinguished Leadership Award: Mike Chapman
Assistant Governor of the Year: Allen Collins
Rotarian of the Year: Eric Johnson
Special Governor’s Award: Carl W. Treleaven, for dedication to the Rotary Foundation & continued Service Above Self
Governor’s Recognition Awards, Presented to:
Cliff Snedeker, Jr: Chief of Staff
Tekoa Bean: District Public Image Chair
Eric Johnson: District Membership Chair
Doug Lobel: District Rotary Youth Exchange Chair
Mitch Hernandez: District Treasurer
Assistant Governors: Allen Collins, Jonathan Brewer, Jocelyn Chapman, Seth Newton, Kelly Mothershead, Gary Coil, Karen Van Sickle, Eloy Nunez
RI Club Builder Awards: Kelly Mothershead, Eric Johnson, Richard Trump, Rotary Clubs of Brooksville, Clearwater, Dade City, Inverness, Rotary e-Club of SE USA & Caribbean, Tarpon Springs, Trinity
Contratulations to all who were recognized! Photos of the event can be found on our Facebook Page:
ROTARY AT THE RAYS IS BACK!
For fans of the Tampa Bay Rays AND The Rotary Foundation, we have a win-win event coming up! On August 7th the
Tampa Bay Rays take on the Minnesota Twins, and for each ticket sold, $10 will be donated to our Rotary Foundation!
Start time is 1PM, but keep an eye out for tailgating party news in the next month!
Detail of the event can be found by clicking here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1131598690225552/
REGISTER NOW for the 2017 Atlanta RI Convention for only $265pp cost! With a nod to the original $26.50 that started The Rotary Foundation, RI has early registration for a low $265 price, good through June 6 - Arch Klumph's birthday! The 2017 RI Convention will be held June 10-14. Come celebrate the 100th birthday of our Rotary Foundation! Aundefinedll details and registration link found here: http://www.rotaryconvention2017.org/welcome/